Before learning how to treat yeast infection in babies, the first thing that you need to keep in mind is that treatment for this condition is not that easy and extreme care and caution is necessary. This is because the condition can bring tremendous pain and discomfort to the affected baby. The main culprit for baby yeast infection is Candida albicans, a type of virus that prefers warm, dark and moist environments.
This type of fungus can be found in various areas of the body and stays in harmless amount until disrupted. These places normally include the skin, mouth, vaginal region and bowels. In case diaper rash is overlooked and left untreated, this may become a full-blown yeast infection. Based on studies, the most common trigger factor for the condition in babies is the consumption of antibiotics. Antibiotics can destroy or reduce the amount of good bacteria within the body, thus paving the way for Candida albicans to dominate, thereby resulting to an infection.
The symptoms of yeast infection are very prominent and uneasy to ignore. The affected infant may start developing diaper rash, which is characterized by small red dots. These dots may appear like blisters or tiny pimples, the affected area lying around the anus, may appear raised, and the tissues may become tender to touch. When the condition reached a severe level, the skin within the affected area may start developing cracks and it may even bleed.
For mild yeast infection, treatments may include the use of antifungal topical and oral medications. It is also necessary for mothers to make sure that the diaper area remains dry at all times. It is necessary to finish a full course of medication to resolve the problem. The baby’s diaper should also be changed frequently to keep the skin free from moisture.
The treatment for yeast infection may also include home yeast infection cures. Some of the most efficient and suitable home cures for baby yeast infection include the following:
- Mix essential oils, such as lavender and roman chamomile oil. When changing diapers, wash the affected area using a solution that contains water and vinegar and then dry it off completely. Thereafter, apply the mixture on the affected area and its surrounding. Wait for several minutes to allow the oil to be absorbed by the baby’s skin before putting on the diaper.
- Another potent home remedy for yeast infection in babies is a warm water bath with apple cider vinegar. Such remedy cannot only help treat the solution but it can also provide a soothing effect to the baby’s skin. This should be done daily for one whole week or until yeast infection symptoms subside.
- Garlic is an age-old remedy, not just for yeast infection, but for most kinds of infections as well. This is also considered as one of the best treatment against yeast infection. Simply rub a clove of garlic on and around the affected area. You can also smash garlic tablets and add it to the baby’s milk or food. It would also be preferable if the tablet were odorless so that the baby will not avoid its consumption.
- Applying aloe vera gel is also considered as an effective treatment for yeast infection. This should be done at least twice or thrice daily. Aloe vera has natural antifungal properties, which are helpful in treating the infection and preventing it from recurring.
- It would also be helpful to feed the baby with ginger. You can do this by diluting ginger tea in water and make the baby consume it at least once a day. This will help alleviate the symptoms of the condition and minimize the severity of the infection.
- If the baby is not more than six months old, applying yogurt to the affected area can be beneficial against the condition. Otherwise, you can make the baby consume it instead to fight off the infection.
Although yeast infection is very common in babies, it may not recur once they outgrow the use of diapers. You can also help the baby prevent the condition by using cloth diapers instead of the plastic ones. Cloth diapers provide more room for air to circulate properly, thus preventing the diaper area from moistening and avoid the occurrence of yeast infection. You can also switch to cloth diapers in case your baby is afflicted with the condition.
For severe cases of yeast infection in babies, it might be necessary to consult your physician. All types of treatment should be stopped in case it cannot provide relief against your baby’s condition. Take him to the physician instead for further diagnosis of the condition and for you to learn how to cure yeast infection in your baby. Take note that in babies, serious cases of yeast infection might be due to an underlying medical problem and this should be addressed immediately to prevent any health risks.